Sunday, February 15, 2009

Artist Spotlight: John Miner

I have admired John Miner's amazing silk screened gig posters for a long time and recently got a chance to do a short interview with the artist (it's astonishing what you will find out just by asking), this is what developed...

Q: How did you get your start as an artist?
A: I started creating gig posters for Tongue, a hard-core punk band fronted by Elizabeth McGrath, (now of Miss Derringer) in 1995.

Q: Did you go to art school or are you self taught?
A: I never had any formal training as an artist, but I learned to screen print at Pasadena City College, where I now teach screen printing. I learned about art by working as a master printer at Modern Multiples print studio, where I pulled prints for many different artists.

Q: Why silk screening?
A: I started printing in high school and found it was some thing I liked and thought it was some thing I could do rather than working at the mall. My first paid print job was a one color funeral t-shirt for the E.M.F cholo gang and I was so happy that some one paid me for some thing I loved to do.

Q: Do you silk screen full time?
A: When I am not printing, I am designing or teaching people how to print at PCC or teaching private workshops.

Q: If you weren't an artist what would you see yourself doing for a living?
A: I have been a salesman from time to time, and have done merchandising for bands as well.

Q: What art medium would you like to learn/practice but haven't had the time/money to do.
A: I would like do a film, make a trashy movie with little or no redeeming social value.

Q: Who are your favorite artists?
A: Edward Colver, Jon Van Hammersveld and Gee Vaucher

To view more of John E Miner's posters you can visit him at GigPosters.Com!

No comments: