Tuesday, July 01, 2008

I fought a good fight...and lost.


I now listen to folk music, and I love it! I guess I've been fighting it for years, my mom and pop are kinda into folky stuff (Joan Baez, Peter Paul and Mary, Bob Dylan among others) but it took me years and years to finally give in. I think the turning point was this documentary on PBS about the folk singing group The Weavers (mostly about their lead singer Pete Seeger) who were popular in the 60's until they were blacklisted for allegedly being commies! Alot of their songs are classics that many generations grew up on, let's bring 'em back, hootennany anyone!?


So yesterday my beau and I went to the library to return some books and I spotted what I never saw before, CD's! Yes, amongst the junk was a folk CD with you guessed it some songs and duos with Pete Seeger, also a full length Pete Seeger CD and a full length CD by The Weavers! Check your local library first or if you live in L.A. county you can request stuff here! Love it! So I still don't listen to Joan or PP&M but any start is a good start, now if only I can STOP listen to stuff like Hall & Oates...Nah, Never!!

No comments: